Friday, December 26, 2014

Attaining Goals

This is almost a two-parter 'looking back at 2014 from all the graphs and Google Sheets.

A couple of weeks ago I managed to put in 100 runs. I realize that the number of times represents a lot of pounding of the pavement, and there would be those who would go on and comment how it's all hurting me and offer to sell me a course of exercises that would achieve the same result and not bring the pain.

I would go on but this is not a rant, it's sort of a report.

One Hundred time;, for many, that's not much, I follow people who log that many in the first four months of the year, but I look at where I've been and what I'm doing now. I went over one chart I have and it seemed I was barely at 200 miles before I decided to get going with the running and all that good exercise.

Total distance, as I write this 628 miles or 1,011.35 kilometers. This was my goal at the beginning of 2014 and I'm so happy I attained and surpassed. On the day I reached 1,000 km, I went back to the map to calculate where that took place. As it was, just down the street. Again that represents a lot of pavement on the feet, and a couple of pairs of shoes along the way. I started the year with Reebok RealFlex and ended with Saucony. This might have been the greatest change in the past year. I'm am a Reebok's runner. I have done all my running in Reebok, so getting a new company on my feet was a tremendous change. If I can divulge, at first I wasn't sure about the shoes. They felt 'odd', don't ask me to explain, they just did. Might have simply been some bias happening. After about a month, I did get used to them and have enjoyed wearing them.

I've already purchased a new shoe for some time this year, it is Reebok, I couldn't resist the 50% off the price, plus there were some good reviews. I'll write more when I get them on my feet and try them out. From the first wear, they feel very nice and light. I have to think about my first pair of shoes, I'm sure they were probably double if not triple the weight of my Saucony's. I guess I should ask myself would I return to Saucony? Yes I probably would.

I should say more about my distance, I look at the chart, my longest distance was over 11 miles. Approaching the magic 13.1 miles. Perhaps this year? For that distance, I've listened to a lot of podcasts and a few audiobooks. For the most part, the podcasts have been from the TWIT network. Been a fan of Leo Laporte since the days of TechTV. As for books, a number of fiction and non-fiction. I enjoyed listening to Hatching Twitter, a look at the start of Twitter. All I can say, the Borgia's have nothing on these guys. Backstabbing, betrayal, all there in 140 characters- plus a lot more, it is a book after all. Been good to keep up to date with what is going on. Another book I thoroughly enjoyed was As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride. If you are a fan of the movie, and admit it you are. Come on, are you going to sit there and say that you can't finish the line: "Hello, my name is....". Yes you can. Find it, and listen, its narrated by the author Cary Elwes, who of course, played Westly. He gives the first person account of the production and all that went on. It also features comments by Rob Reiner, Billy Crystal, Mandy Patinkin. It's great and if you aren't laughing or at least smiling in places, there is something wrong with you. So when I'm wearing an audio devise while running, you can be assured that I'm probably not listening to music.

I decided to check some vital statistics, in 13 months I've managed to lost 10 lbs. I have never made it a goal to lose weight, but it has happened. It's been good to do that, and enjoy all the other benefits. Although I keep having to buy a new belt every six months or so, and some of my pants are so baggy. Such a problem to have.

I've learned to enjoy wearing compression socks, wear them all the time when I run. They do work.

One More Mile is one of my favourite websites.

Was it all good? No, like all things, there was the positives and negatives. The good runs and the bad ones. Few times I thought I'd quit and others when I couldn't wait for the next run. By 'quit', I mean stop right then and there, hobble back home and put my feet up never to do THAT again.

That was 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment